definite or indefinite article

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 48
poprzednia |
Hi, Is that sentence missing articles? Where and what types (indefinite or definite)?

Susie is playing piano. Do you think it could be famous musician, Frederic Chopin? She is not able to play piano like Frederic Chopin.

what's about this ones?:

I've been to Austria and Nepal but I've never climbed on Matterhorn or Mount Everest.
That was party I'll never forget. - Certainly! You had terrible morning next day!

Thanks for your help; )
Susie is playing THE piano. Do you think SHE could be A famous musician,
>Frederic Chopin? She is not able to play THE piano like Frederic Chopin.

I've been to Austria and Nepal but I've never climbed on Matterhorn or
>Mount Everest.
>That was THE party I'll never forget. - Certainly! You had A terrible
>morning next day!
I've been to Austria and Nepal but I've never climbed on THE Matterhorn
>or
>>(THE) Mount Everest.

właściwie przed Mount Everest też, ale jak masz or to nie trzeba dwukrotnie
> A famous
>musician,
>>Frederic Chopin?

Popatrz, a ja chciałam dać tu "THE"
Chopin to composer, nie musician

Ja to zdanie w ogole zrozumialam inaczej - ze owa Suzie gra jakis utwor Chopina, dlatego ma tam to "it".
>Susie is playing THE piano. Do you think it could be THE famous musician,
>Frederic Chopin? She is not able to play THE piano like Frederic Chopin.
>
>WHAT ABOUT THESE ones?:
>
>I've been to Austria and Nepal but I've never climbed on Matterhorn or
>Mount Everest.
>That was A party I'll never forget. - Certainly! You had A terrible
>morning next day!

tak mi sie wydaje
musician też (a composer is a type of musician)
>tak mi sie wydaje

za bardzo po polsku to jest - climb on Mount Everest; po angielsku mowi sie 'climb (up) a mountain'

>>That was THE party I'll never forget. - Certainly! You had A
>terrible
>>morning THE next day!
>za bardzo po polsku to jest - climb on Mount Everest; po angielsku
>mowi sie 'climb (up) a mountain'
tez tak myslalem, ale google pokazywalo jakies tam rezultaty, takze na anglojezycznych stronach, wiec juz nie ruszalem.

>>>That was THE party I'll never forget.
podałbyś jakieś wyjaśnienie/regułkę?
>tez tak myslalem, ale google pokazywalo jakies tam rezultaty, takze na
>anglojezycznych stronach, wiec juz nie ruszalem.

co do google to nie porusze tematu, bo jest on nam wszystki znany :/

>>>>That was THE party I'll never forget.
>podałbyś jakieś wyjaśnienie/regułkę

nie :P
'za bardzo po polsku to jest - climb on Mount Everest; po angielsku
>mowi sie 'climb (up) a mountain''

you are right - climb Mount Everest (without article) and climb the Matterhorn...
pzdr
'A famous
>musician,
>>Frederic Chopin?

Popatrz, a ja chciałam dać tu "THE"'

- according to some linguists putting 'the' in front of 'a famous person' is a very common mistake among L1 (without articles) speakers like Japanese, Polish and other Slavic nations - quite interesting

best wishes
>- according to some linguists putting 'the' in front of 'a famous
>person' is a very common mistake among

Dzięki.
the Matterhorn
Mount Everest
nie daje sie przedimkow przed nazwami pojedynczych gor, chyba ze nazwa pochodzi z jezyka (niemiecki, francuski), w ktorym wystepuje przed nia przedimek/rodzajnik

a party I'll never forget
'the' oznaczaloby, ze to jedyne takie przyjecie.

??? famous musician, Frederic Chopin
przecinek musi zostac usuniety. Z przeccinkiem zadna wersja nie ma sensu.
the famous musician Frederic Chopin
Frederic Chopin, the/a famour musician
>a party I'll never forget
>'the' oznaczaloby, ze to jedyne takie przyjecie.

albo jedno z wielu pamiętliwych - the/a jak najbardziej, ale coś musi być

przed szczytami tez się nie daje the, mówi się I'm gonna climb Rysy a nie the Rysy, jednak sprawa z Matterhorn jest inna, to potężny szczyt, Mount Everest najczęściej się nie daje, chyba że mamy zamiar coś podkreslić, że np. udało mi się wspiąć na taki szczyt, no to jest wyczyn.

co do struktury zdań to się nie wypowiadam, być może autor sam je pisał, a że pytanie dotyczyło articles to poprawiłem co uważałem za bardziej lub mniej słuszne :)
>przed szczytami tez się nie daje the, mówi się I'm gonna climb Rysy a
>nie the Rysy, jednak sprawa z Matterhorn jest inna, to potężny szczyt,

Nie dlatego.

>Mount Everest najczęściej się nie daje, chyba że mamy zamiar coś
>podkreslić, że np. udało mi się wspiąć na taki szczyt, no to jest
>wyczyn.

Nie dlatego. Wszystko wyjaśniłem powyżej. Proszę nie tworzyć własnej gramatyki ani interpunkcji, tak jak w wątku nt /if'.
Język niemiecki nie tylko - jasne, ale jeśli naprawdę chcemy coś podkreślić to możemy użyć the, proszę nie twierdzić, że nie.

Z if napisałem tylko, że jeśli jest warunek to stawia się przecinek, co ja utworzyłem własnego Panie Mg? Taka prawidłowość ma miejsce, choć nie tylko.
>ale jeśli naprawdę chcemy coś podkreślić to możemy użyć the, proszę nie twierdzić, że nie.

ta regulka dotyczy nie tylko Mt Everest i mieszanie jednego z drugim tylko zaciemnia sprawe.

>Z if napisałem tylko, że jeśli jest warunek to stawia się przecinek,

a to nie jest prawdą.
Panowie, zapomnijcie o tych szczytach z the czy bez niego - z mojego doswiadczenia jedynym znanym mi szczytem z the jest wlasnie Materhorn ;) pozostale maja spokoj z uzyciem przedimka okreslonego ;)

Ja postanowilem zamienic zdanie That was the party I'll never forget na proste i krotkie: That was some party! I tyle :P
... Matterhorn is an exception with definite article...

whereas Frederic Chopin is used with zero or indefinite article if mentioned first time; the same concerns any well-known person who is mentioned first time in our statement; it seems to be very complicated since we tend to think about famous person as about definte thing (as everybody knows her/him) but it isn't definte in a statement...what do you think about it?

BW
Christian Douglas-Kozłowska
The Articles in Polish-English Translation

'Different treatment is accorded to French and German names, as compared with the names of British and other foreign mountains.
(...)
the definite article is used
a) with all German names, whether they include the word for Mount or not: the Matterhorn, the Eiger, the Jungfrau, etc.; up to the Buchenbronner Hohe
b) with French names except those that include the word Mont: climb the Aiguille d'Argentiere, the Dru...'
>>whereas Frederic Chopin is used with zero or indefinite article if mentioned first time; the same concerns any well-known person who is mentioned first time in our statement; it seems to be very complicated since we tend to think about famous person as about definte thing

Ah, so when the name Chopin appears for the second time in a text, we should say "the Chopin"? Very interesting... and totally absurd.

By the way, why don't you begin your exploration of the articles by correcting your own sentences? There are at least two articles missing in what I copied above.
you've got me wrong - (maybe my fault) I didn't want to say in front of his name but in from of adjective like famous eg Frederic Ch.

secondly, I don't know what are you driving at? 'correcting your own sentences" - it's seems to be very ironical or maybe I've got you wrong this time (I think that it's not the point of such discussion forums). I'm not gonna write an academic essay so I don't care about correctness of my own statements fot the sake of ironical Polish people. I'm just trying to disscus the point which seems to be interesting.

I'd better use any English forum since native speakers of English are determined to discuss instead of picking on sth not connected to the point of discussion.

Thanks for your help in relevance to the mountains anyway. Have fun; )
to the newbie-
>>>I'm not gonna write an academic essay so I don't care about correctness of my own statements for the sake of ironical Polish people. I'm just trying to disscus the point which seems to be interesting.
...You have totally missed the point of this particular forum. The whole point is to 'polish up your English' i.e. try, whenever possible to advise, correct, amend sentences which may not be written in what is after all 'prescriptive English'.
>>>I'd better use any English forum since native speakers of English are
determined to discuss instead of picking on sth not connected to the
point of discussion.
...Whilst we still discuss points of general 'linguistic' interests, - the basis of any discussion is to write accurately and correctly using grammatical forms currently in use in the English language. If you want a general discussion about a topic, not giving 'two hoots' about the constructions of your English sentences, then can I gently redirect you to other fora where such points of view might be more appreciated.
>you've got me wrong - (maybe my fault) I didn't want to say in front of his name but in from of adjective like famous eg Frederic Ch.

I don't get it. Ttoally unintelligible. 'in front of an adjective like famous eg Frederic Chopin' What phrase were you thinking about? 'famous Frederic Chopin', 'Frederic Chopin was a famous musician'?

>secondly, I don't know what are you driving at? 'correcting your own sentences"

You ask about articles.
You quote rules that do not explain anything. And you make mistakes in article usage. You can't logically do both at the same time.
A tad touchy, aren't you?
>Z if napisałem tylko, że jeśli jest warunek to stawia się przecinek,

a to nie jest prawdą.

Co za cietrzew :) Bajek nie piszę, słucham mądrzejszych ludzi, a na studiach takowych spotykam. Prawdą więc jest to co napisałem, a właściwie tylko powtórzyłem.
Prowadzenie dyskusji w tym względzie uważam za zbyteczne. Nikt nie może podważać takiego stwierdzenia, skoro jest ono słuszne. Proszę zatem nie podważać tego co piszę, choć nie wiem jak w pana mniemaniu jest ono niesłuszne.
>Nikt nie może podważać takiego stwierdzenia, skoro jest ono słuszne.

Jest słuszne, bo Ty tak powiedziałeś? Może podałbyś jakieś wiarygodne źródło?
Pana wiedza przeciwko mojej?

Już kiedyś zdarzyło się, że coś Pan usłyszał na studiach, tylko nie tak zapamiętał, jak powinien.

Jeżeli piszę tu o gramatyce, to nie dlatego, żeby obstawać przy swoim zdaniu, ale żeby innych czegoś nauczyć.
Może my się nie zrozumieliśmy. Mówiąc o warunku, miałem na myśli, że w zdaniu musi zaistnieć "warunek", np. "If you do this right, you'll get the prize", a nie zdanie warunkowe jako takie.

Czasem warto zapytać czy dobrze zrozumiało się intencje autora.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 48
poprzednia |

« 

Pomoc językowa - tłumaczenia

»

Brak wkładu własnego