For your perusal

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 119
poprzednia |
In the third part of the speaking test I’m supposed to produce an impromptu speech in length for two minutes on a given subject.
I’ve chosen the following question on which I took the liberty of cranking out a couple of lines to fill these two minutes and just wanted to submit my “speech” here for your stridulous perusal. Obviously,the followingthext is not “the extemporization” any longer as it took me more than 13 minutes to turn it out but I think this may also serve as a framework for an essay or article or other “drivel” ( with all due respect to any form of writing :) as these are the thoughts stored in my “warehouse” for having them right at my fingertips if need be.
As usual ,the talk is supposed to be relevant to the topic and quite beefy and it would be the best if it was sprinkled with some fixed phrases,idioms, structures etc. every ten seconds, yadda yadda yadda.:)
Does it stand up to your scrutiny in general?

In what ways have science and technology changed our perception of right and wrong?

Hardly a day goes by when we don’t witness yet another invention or discovery in the field of science and technology of which natural and inexorable corollaries have by no means affected our attitude problem in establishing the rights and wrongs . With the advent of exponential growth of state-of -the art equipment our life has inextricably intertwined with the rapid pace of science in our quotidian life. Our set of values and expectations are “organically” changing under the unfluence of new electronic devices without us even being aware of its advancing velocity. While becoming overly reliant on our laptops, cellular phones, email communication ,we are sometimes not able to sift the wheat from the chaff in indentifying someone’s real intentions. We often tend to show an exaggerated proclivity for being excessively pragmatic, equating our electronic world to ourselves to mere present our identity as plastic and flaccid as we are literally barraged with that new artificial environment and images of the people we might become.
The mass media complex is yet another agent, which is involved to even a greater degree to influence our ability to reach a desired equipoise in distinguishing between the rights and wrongs. Our opinions are often countoured by the current political , social or economic agenda presented in the media unless we are conservative to the bone. We are extremely susceptible to chop and change in pursuit of current trends in fashion impacted, although subliminally, by a barrage of advertisements and magazine programmes on contemporary life style and mores…

At his point I would’ve been interrupted by an examiner .
*contoured

Where else does it jar with your "ear" ?
up,up:)
May I jump the queue ? :)
up,up :)
Oh, you can't have been scared off by this sophisticated language?
All philosophers you have the opportunity to display yourselves!!
Oh common Shiny, it's not such a sophisticated vocab at all, just a couple of words, that' all. I just wanted someone to dissect the cohesion and sense in general.:) And still humbly waiting
All these words such as " propensity, proclivity, equipoise etc, and that may sound alien to our ears can easily be found in a dictionary at the flip of a button and obviously they all have their "lighter" commensurate equivalents but haven't you got bored with using the same words all along ?
I mean , sometimes it's really worth "scouring" for some new definitions and expressions just for the sake of versatlility and some mutability, if you like, of the language and for not to blow your own trumpet to show how damn good you are ! And make no mistake about it : These words are "notoriously" used by many english native speakers in certain circles.

This way we may become more "open-minded" individuals who fit no stereotype in terms of a language you learn and it really doesn't matter whether it's polish, english,german etc.
This is a one man's opinion .:)
Sorry sav, somewhat incomunicado at the moment. Sitting in the Houston airport waiting for a connection. Good luck with comments. I won't get to it until late tomorrow if yoou really need feedback. Sorry for spelling. Damn blackberry
No probs Siunia, wish you got the place you're heading safe and sound, I know what it's like with these blackberries, there's nothing best than a land line internet connection.:)
>Where else does it jar with your "ear" ?
Holy.
Everywhere.
zauwazylam tyle, ale excellent.
In the third part of the speaking test I'm supposed to produce an
impromptu speech 'in length for two minutes' (zla kol slow) on a given subject.
...even a greater degree 'to influence' (in influencing) our ability to reach a desired equipoise
Thanks Terri, coming from you it’s a compliment whatever you slice it:).Indeed, "involved" should be followed by "in" hence "influencing" and this jumbled word order.. I should've picked it up. I'll put it down to experience.:)
But again, writing a piece in your domestic tranquility is somewhat different to producing it on your exam when you’re freaking out overwhelmed by a bout of stage fright all of a sudden but there ARE a number of possible remedies to this problem I think,(not to misconstrue them as a thick jolt of rich man’s aspirin for those in the know :) such as a glass of exquisite sherry,red wine, or Grand Marnier may be , hahaha .

>Where else does it jar with your "ear" ?
Down boy!
I sense a gentleman in our midst (however hard you try to hide it)

:)

I'll take a look at this later, but after Terri's glowing remarks, I'm sure you don't need too much more feedback.

The "gnats" are rather pesky tonight.
Ok, my fragile ego has been soothed.
It will have to be much later. My son is playing in another baseball game (and pitching!!).

ciao
So your son is the pitcher who throws the ball to the batter, stands in the centre of the diamond.Good for him. As I said wait for him to make a pitch for
a nice leggy cheerleaders in colorful rah-rah skirts.. This is what I would've been doing being in his shoes :)
tara :)
"the
>our ability to reach a desired equipoise

Would it be a mistake if I said 'the desired equipoise'?

(Not that I'm nit-picking, I'm just being knowledge-hungry)
good good good Pakk , you may be right , let's see : if the equipoise in our example is defined by a phrase or cluase which follows , then using "the" here could not be further from the truth. :)
On second thought I incline to the view that "equipoise" should be preceded by the as "they" probably know what level or balance they want to achieve/reach..
This is actually what I call intrinsic linguistic subtleties that seemingly seem to be ridiculously simpleat first glance ..
We'll see...
submit my “speech" here for your stridulous (are you sure of your word choice here? I understand stridulous to mean a harsh, grating sound) perusal. Obviously,the following text is not “the extemporization" any longer as it took me more than 13 minutes to turn it out but I think this may also serve as a framework for an essay or article or other “drivel" ( with all due respect to any form of writing :) as these are the thoughts stored in my “warehouse" (for having..lepiej "to have") them right at my fingertips if need be.
As usual ,the talk (czy speech?) is supposed to be relevant to the topic and quite beefy and it would be the best if it was sprinkled with some fixed phrases,idioms, structures etc. every ten seconds, yadda yadda yadda.:)
Does it stand up to your scrutiny in general?

In what ways have science and technology changed our perception of right and wrong?

Hardly a day goes by THAT we don't witness yet another invention or discovery in the field of science and technology of which natural and inexorable corollaries have (by no means..is this phrase necessary?) affected our (attitude problem..cos me tu nie gra, czy brakuje jakies slowo) in establishing the rights and wrongs (of what? of whom?) (Very long sentence...you don't do the reader any favours do you? I would break this sentence into two parts. Your meaning is unclear to me ). With the advent of exponential growth of state-of -the art equipment (czy technology?) our life has inextricably intertwined with the rapid "pace" (moze "development") of science in our quotidian (would it kill you to say "daily"?) life. Our set of values and expectations are “organically" changing under the unfluence of new electronic devices without us even being aware of its advancing velocity. While becoming overly reliant on our laptops, cellular phones, email communication ,we are sometimes not able to sift the wheat from the chaff in identifying someone's real intentions. We often tend to show an exaggerated proclivity for being excessively pragmatic, equating our electronic world to ourselves to mereLY?? present our identity as plastic and flaccid as we are literally barraged with that new artificial environment and images of the people we might become (this sentence is too long..your writing makes me tired).

The mass media is yet another agent, which is involved to even a greater degree in influencing our ability to reach a desired equipoise in distinguishing between the rights and wrongs (czemu l. mn? jabym napisala between right and wrong) Our opinions are often contoured ("shaped" lepiej) by the current political , social or economic agenda presented in the media unless we are ULTRA? conservative . We are extremely susceptible to (Shop? and change in pursuit of current trends in fashion impacted>>>>cos tu nie gra), although subliminally, by a barrage of advertisements and magazine programmes (articles?) on contemporary lifestyleS and mores...

God, you owe me a drink!!
.....returning from kitchen with a beer (warm night here@ 25 C)
Thanks Siunia,as I said I love you though I don't know you, but again ; may this drink be "accompanied" by hugs and kisses ? :)
Ooops, I forgot that you're married but let's say if we both "didn't step off the carpet" years ago and were "available", may be we would be able to "work a liitle bit late at the office now ? :) Of course I'm joking, only joking.

Back to my scrawl:Your comments are extremely important to me,you know it:)
( with all due respect to any others')

1.“Attitude problem” – May be I was wrong but this was supposed to be the “structure” as in : A lot of drivers have a serious “attitude problem (= they do not behave in a way that is acceptable to other people). Quote : Oxford English Dictionary
2.“to chop and change “- this is an idiom(BrE) and I thought it would be a good idea to use it in the context of vulnerability to sth ? (- to keep changing your mind or what you are doing -Oxford English Dictionary)
3.The sentences you pointed out are indeed too long and may blur the meaning of the sentence in general. I must admit that I often tend to make them longer than it’s necessary hence …impacted and others… but I’ll get rid of this “dangerous” propencity .
4.“stridulous” - wanted this adjective to connote harshesness , strictness or may be even “demarcation” in assessment but was wrong apparently as it refers rather to a sound.( The srilling of the field cricket, though sharp and stridulous,..marvelouslly delights some hearers)

I'll put my mind to all the other points you mentioned.
You can never be perfect , well I can speak for myself here of course, but if sth jars with your ear I'll try to make it jar with mine too :)

And don't drink too much beer ( well that's fine by me as I love tipsy women :)
"harshness
"propensity

Holy mackarel strike me dumb !!
Since you are working so hard on improving your vocabulary, I have done the same.
My new word for the day: "bawidamek" podoba mi sie. :)

With regards to my comments, you appear like a very serious student of English; therefore, I try very hard to give you serious comments and observations. I should probably try to be a little more tactful and balance the positives with the negatives, but mostly we learn from constructive criticism. So....

Simplify your writing and structure. Your goal is to achieve a "union" with your listener/reader and to communicate effectively. Communication is not one-sided. The listener/reader must "receive" the message for communication to be successful. You're making the reader/listener work too hard. It is not about "dumbing" down your writing and speech. It is about achieving a better balance. Use that rich vocabulary of yours as a chef would use seasoning/spices. Too much seasoning/spice kills the meal. Sorry, probably a weak metaphor but you mentioned that you like to cook.

I'm sure we will talk at length about this over that VERY LARGE drink you owe me when we meet up in WAWA.

Tomorrow's word of the day: flirciarz
:)
Nara
All clear Siunia, I'll drum it into myself as a percussionist taps out the loud beats on his drum:)

Bawidamek,flirciasz ok , though I would be rather reckoned to be a former-champion-get-into-her-pants-juggler ( with all due respect to us both :)
You're incorrigible.

Here, there could be no substitute (for the word).

Get back to studying
Yeah , I'm getting down to it right now.. but as someone said recently - all work and no play ? :) Ok , I'm serious now, the fun and games are over and it's high time I got back to my bricks and mortar.. :)
Can't get my head round it somehow ( mental blockage or what ? :),namely the word
"expletive".
I know it's kinda rude word that you use when you're angry, pissed off etc , just to fill out a sentence , googled but didnt find any satisfactory explanation/example.

Something like : I don't give you the expletive ...??

Anyone guys ?
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 119
poprzednia |

« 

Pomoc językowa - Sprawdzenie

»

Pomoc językowa - Sprawdzenie