Użycie podmiotu 'there'.

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Jaka jest różnica pomiędzy 'in the other corner was a narrow bed' a 'in the other corner THERE was a narrow bed' ?

W pewnej książce było to pierwsze zdanie i z tego co zauważyłem ostatnimi czasy (odkąd zacząłem czytać więcej książek %-)), że w tego typu zdaniach there raczej nie występuje. Zatem chciałbym wiedzieć, kiedy to there jest potrzebne, a kiedy nie %-).
jak dla mnie to to samo. ale osobiscie uzywam pierwszego zdania jest milsze dla ucha
ogolnie rzecz biorac, zdania bez there sa literackie.
A według mnie użycie pierwszego przypadku to stwierdzenie określonego stanu, a drugiego to twierdzenie faktu istnienia określonej określonego stanu lub rzeczy.
a, myslalem, ze chodzi o zdania z inwersja w porownaniu ze zdaniami zaczynajjacymi sie od 'there'. Zdania z there w srodku tez okreslilbym jako 'niemile dla ucha'.
naczy, najlepsze byłoby 'in the other corner was a narrow bed' albo 'there was a narrow bed in the other corner' tak?
"There is" is your best and only bet when you want to address the existence of something, no matter what position in the sentence your "there" is going to claim.

There was a narrow bed in the corner although he claimed it's the floor where he makes his bed.
Although he claims the sleeps on the floor, there is a bed in his bedroom.

Just mind you this "there is" thing clutters your writing unless used in moderation.

If this existence stuff is not your priority, you could always cut the phrase and restate your case using another verb:

In the corner stood a narrow bed; the embroidery on its spread reminded me of my mother's knitting.

He was asking about the position of 'there is' within a clause, not within a compound sentence.

(1) 'In the corner there was a narrow bed' vs. (2) 'there was... in the corner' vs. (3) 'in the corner was a narrow bed'

(2) is the most common way, (3) has a literary tinge to it, and as for (1), there's nothing really wrong with it, but I think* the other two are preferable.

* is Terri going to notice I omitted 'that' and give me hell on that account? :-)
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Pomoc językowa

»

Praca za granicą