Explain diffs

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Could you explain the difference in meaing between the phrases (in pairs)

It can be english or polish explanation. I just want to know clearly the diff between those pairs

- a sideways move vs a change of direction
- transferable skills vs uptade my skills
- a glass ceiling vs opportunity for advacement
- corporate culture vs rules and red tape
- personal development vs training

All phrases refer to topic CHANGING JOBS
tell us first what you know already.

looks like homework assignment

sideways move looks like changing jobs in the same direction ?
personal development means gettin new abilities, while training their growth ? i dont know...
I've no idea about second and fourth phrase. Third - i know.
you get training from a teacher/trainer/tutor whereas personal development may mean something you do on your own or it may be an umbrella term for developing new abilities whether under someone's supervision (training) or not.
sideways - never seen this phrase in a job-related context, sorry.
a glass ceiling is when you cannot be promoted above a certain level because of corporate culture. It was traditionally applied to the situation of women. It's made of glass, so you can't see it, but it is a real barrier. An opportunity for advancement is a chance to get promoted.
Thanks.

Could any1 say sth about 2d and 4th phrase?
mg

a sideways move means move to another job at the same level as before, not higher or lower.

Close topic if needed.
Transferable skills are those you’ve gained form all your previous jobs or just through your whole work and life experience. And then you can use them in your next job when making a career move, but you better put them in your resume.

updating your skills - you ‘re open to learning and updating your skills through, say, continuing training. For example, you may want to take up some short-term courses to become more up to date with modern technologies or whatever new it’s there in your line of work. It’a good thing. It can save you from a lay-off because then your boss knows you’re not just another cubicle moron kicking around in the office.

edytowany przez savagerhino: 11 kwi 2013
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

CAE - sesja lato 2011

»

Pomoc językowa - Sprawdzenie