Quasi coordination in English

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Be so kind and check it, please.

Choose the best answer.

1. It seems that nature, in addition to 'nurture', a. affect, b. affects what a person is like.
2. In other words, what your parents and grandparents are alike, as well as your upbringing, a. has .b have an effect upon you. (tutaj dalem 'has', bo uwazam, ze zdanie po przecinku jest jedynie wtrąceniem
3. As well as a. study b. studying twins brought up together, psychologists have studied identical twins separated in childhood.
4. Results show that identical twins, in addition to a. look b. looking alike , have very similar intelligence, whatever their upbringing.
5. This, with another very difficult study, a. do, b. does (sadze, to jest odniesienie do 'this') seem to show that intelligence is not just a matter of education (BTW, this is a spot-on answer IMHO)
6. Unrelated children brought up together in a children's home, with identical environment, a. show , b. shows different levels of intelligence.
7. All this suggests - rather than entirely a. proves prove c. proving - that heredity, ancestry, is important.
8. Perhaps for this reason intelligence testing along with other forms of testing, a. are b. is (am not 100% sure here) challenged by some teachers.
9. They say an IQ test is unreliable and unfairly labels children, rather than a. help b. helps c. helping them. . Moim zdaniem tutaj mozna te dwa.
10. Sometimes a headteacher, or most of the staff a. refuse b. refuses to use such tests.

Cheers.
edytowany przez grudziu: 12 sty 2013
2 – ok., dobrze wstawiles ale nie wiem czy dobrze przepisales zdanie
9. helps – structural parallelism
the rest is ok

note:
If a subject NP is followed by quasi coordinators like ‘along with’, ‘with. or ‘as well as’ and others, this NP number actually determines concord. Sometimes plural may be found in loosely expressed contexts. This has to do with both the proximity principle and notional concord ( the latter meaning that while the element is grammatically singular, we feel that with this combination we ‘need’ to put a governing verb in plural). But that you know already I guess.

“One man with his wife, both looking very anxious, were pleading with a guard to let them through.”

edytowany przez savagerhino: 12 sty 2013
Ok, thank you Sav. So in the sentence given above, we've got the plural subject 'one man with his wife' which is consisted of two people, right?
What about this:

Peter, as well as Mary, was present at yesterday's classes.
Peter as well as Mary, were present at yesterday's classes.

I made up these sentences just now. I'm just playing with the language.
was

"The captain, as well as the other players, was tired".

some food for thought ( as another note) for coordination with 'or':

“Grammatical concord is clear when each member of the coordination has the same number: when they are both singular the verb is singular; when they are both plural the verb is plural. A dilemma arises when one member is singular and the other plural. Notionally, ‘or’ is disjunctive, so that each member is separately related to the verb rather than the two members being considered one unit, as when the coordinator is additive ‘and’. Since the dilemma is not clearly resolvable by the principles of grammatical concord or notional concord, recourse is generally had to the principle of proximity: whichever phrase comes last determines the number of the verb.....”

And now if we think of the 'staff' in 10 as being notionally plural, would we allow for a plural there?
Cytat: savagerhino
was

"The captain, as well as the other players, was tired".

some food for thought ( as another note) for coordination with 'or':

“Grammatical concord is clear when each member of the coordination has the same number: when they are both singular the verb is singular; when they are both plural the verb is plural. A dilemma arises when one member is singular and the other plural. Notionally, ‘or’ is disjunctive, so that each member is separately related to the verb rather than the two members being considered one unit, as when the coordinator is additive ‘and’. Since the dilemma is not clearly resolvable by the principles of grammatical concord or notional concord, recourse is generally had to the principle of proximity: whichever phrase comes last determines the number of the verb.....”

And now if we think of the 'staff' in 10 as being notionally plural, would we allow for a plural there?

In the sentence 2 should also be 'was'? What you meant was this sentence when answering the question?
What I meant was that the verb 'be' should be singular.
In both sentences, yeah?
Look, I'm asking, because of the sentence 'Peter as well as Mary, were present at yesterday's classes. '. To my way of thinking there are two people in the subject. We're taking Peter and Mary into account.
I'm correct?
I would put singular there.
Cytat: savagerhino
I would put singular there.

ja tez, dlatego, ze mowimy o Peter, (l. poj), gdyby bylo Peter and Mary (to l. mn)
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Pomoc językowa - tłumaczenia

»

Pomoc językowa - tłumaczenia