CPE (1)

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
There are some assignments to be checked. Would any of you be so kind as to have a look at them? If so, I will be indebted.

1. Fill each of the numbered blanks in the passage with one suitable word.

There is a curious phenomenon that makes a great number of small shopkeepers feel free they are being victimised. They seem to feel that they just cannot compete (1) with/against (think both are ok here) supermarkets. (2) Although I appreciate that they are totally (3) unable/incapable (think both are ok here) to compete in the area of choice of goods, much as they would like to be, I am unwilling to accept that they cannot compete as (4) far as standards are concerned. Providing goodwill, a personaliised service and a full knowledge of what is on (5) offer: a combination of all these things is (6) what will keep small shops in business. (7) Not only will they survive, but they will also thrive - of (8) that I am convinced.
If only butchers (9) could proudly rediscover their craft, cater (10) for special needs and orders, listen attentively and offer advice with a smile - even learn basic cooking principles and the (11) ways/methods/issues (think 3 are ok, but unsure of "issues") in which they are used with the meat they sell. If they (12) did this, small butchers would thrive rather than (13)_______ (my mind is blank now) squeezed out of existence.
This also (14) applies/refers/relates to greengrocers. Imagine (15) entering a shop, wanting to make a puree of potatoes for your evening meal. (16) How astonished you would be if the greengrocer said, 'Excuse me, what dish are you making?' and (17) went/carried on to explain you that the starch (18) level/content (or percentage maybe) of some varieties of potato would be too high for your needs. (19) Whereas (maybe as?) in the case of butchers, they would encourage many shoppers to forsake the supermarkets, if they (20) offered/had/provided this type of service.

Cheers.
3) unable/incapable (think both are ok here) to compete in
poprawne jest "unable"
przy "incapable" byłoby "incapable of competing"
13) be
edytowany przez kikino: 08 kwi 2013
11 ways
13 being
14 raczej tylko applies
17 carry on doing sth
18 content, level bardziej pasuje do domieszek
19 faktycznie, chyba as, bo whereas oznaczaloby zmiane tematow, powrot do rzeznikow w tym jednym ostatnim zdaniu, co nie jest uzasadnione
Dziękuję Wam Panowie.

kikino@ Faktycznie, z tego rozpędu zapędziłem się. Jakoś nie zwróciłem uwagi na infinitive.
przy 13 uważam, że powinno być "be"
would thrive rather than (w domyśle would) be squeezed
would be sqeezed, a nie would being sqeezed
Cytat: kikino

Szczerze, brałem to pod uwagę, ale zapomniałem potem wpisać. Na początku byłem po zajęciach zmęczony i jakoś nic do głowy mi nie przychodziło.

p.s to w 13 be czy being? Dla koordynacji lepiej be, ale...

Thanks guys
edytowany przez grudziu: 08 kwi 2013
sprawdźcie np. u Swana: można użyć ing po rather than w takich sytuacjach. Wydaje mi się, że jest to coraz bardziej popularne.
Quote, "when the main clause has a to-infinitive, rather than is usually followed by an infinitive without to or an -ing form:

I decided to write rather than phone/phoning.
Rather than use/using the last of my cash, I decided to write a check", unquote

Cytat: kikino

verb forms don't have to match with a subrodinator like 'rather than'
passive gerund is ok
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Pomoc językowa