Present Perfect vs Past Simple

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
I've got a letter in which I have to put the Present Perfect or the Past Simple tense:

I'm writing to tell you all the lastest family news. Aunt Daisy (1) had a baby girl a week ago. Uncle Nick is very pleased. They (2) ........ (name) the baby Louise. Uncle Bruce (3) ........... (buy) a new car and he (4) ............. (give) the old one to Aunt Celia. Do you remember my cousin Rupert? Well, he (5) moved to Germany last month. He (6) ........... (take) his wife and children with him. Grandpa (7) took Alex on a fishing trip last weekend. Unfortunately, they (8) didn't catch any fish!
Grandma (9) has recently redecorated the living room. She (10) ............ (paint) the walls pink and (11) ............. (buy) a new carpet to match. It looks lovely.
That's all for now. Take care and write soon with your news.

I have already filled the gaps I knew the proper answer to.
Please give your answer with the explanation why there must be the particular tense.

This is what I think:

1) "had" because it was "a week ago"

2) "named" because we still know that it was "a week ago" OR "have named" because we know that they are "the lastest family news"

3) "has bought" because we want to emphasize the event (news) OR "bought" because it was in the past

4) "gave" because we are not interested in what happened to the old car

5) "moved" because it was "last month"

6) "took" because we know that it was "last month" OR "has taken" because they most probably are still there

7) "took" because it was "last weekend"

8) "didn't catch" because it is a finished event

9) "has recently redecorated" because it was "recently"

10) "has painted" > recently

11) "bought" because it is a continuation of the Present Perfect sentence OR "has bought"
>2) "named" because we still know that it was "a week ago" OR "have
>named" because we know that they are "the lastest family news"

I'd go for PrPerf
Simple Past would mean 'when/the moment she was born", which doesn't have to be true, and overall it gives the impression that the birth, and naming, happened some time ago.

3. has bought - recent news. You introduce a new piece of news and, in the absence of a 'definite time in the past' kind of phrase, you should use the PrPerf
4. um, given. It's too recent
6. took - it happened when he moved
8. didn't catch, right, I would change the explanation a bit, though, and say that it's simply another part of the story about what grandpa was up to last weekend.
last two items: Simple Past, because you are giving more detailed info about the work done while redecorating the house. However, PrPerf would not sound very much out of place here to me either.
Thanks for the answer.

>>2) "named" because we still know that it was "a week ago" OR
>"have
>>named" because we know that they are "the lastest family news"
>
>I'd go for PrPerf
>Simple Past would mean 'when/the moment she was born", which doesn't
>have to be true, and overall it gives the impression that the birth,
>and naming, happened some time ago.

I think that both are possible here then depending on what the writer wanted to convey. On the other hand I think that in the places that the exact time is not mentioned the Present Perfect should be used because of the first sentence which says that these are "the lastest family news". What do you think?

>4. um, given. It's too recent

To me, it is because of the part of the letter which I mentioned, i.e. "the lastest family news"; it shows that the events are recent to the writer. Anyway, we rather mean the same here.

>last two items: Simple Past, because you are giving more detailed info
>about the work done while redecorating the house. However, PrPerf
>would not sound very much out of place here to me either.

I thought that it may be the Present Perfect because of the part in which the writer says that it "looks lovely" so we have some present cause of the house having been redecorated.

« 

Nauka języka

»

Pomoc językowa