off of = off ORAZ off = from

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 47
poprzednia |
"Usage Note: The compound preposition off of is generally regarded as informal and is best avoided in formal speech and writing: *He stepped off (not off of) the platform*. Off is informal as well when used to indicate a source: formal style requires *I borrowed it from (not off) my brother.*"

stąd moje 2 pytania

1. kiedy mogę użyć OFF OF, a kiedy MUSZĘ użyć OFF [bo compound preposition nie może być zastosowany] ???

2. czy zawsze mogę użyć OFF w znaczeniu FROM podanym wyżej?

Pozdrawiam,

Przemo
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/off_of
Możesz użyć kiedy chcesz; pytanie tylko co sobie inni o Tobie wtedy pomyślą. Ja bym pomyślała, że jesteś albo pijany i coś tam bełkoczesz albo niedouczony i coś tam bełkoczesz.
eva, to też tyczy się 2. pytania? xD

bo w tym 1. to też dla moich uszu bezmi jak bełkot xD
1. kiedy mogę użyć OFF OF, a kiedy MUSZĘ użyć OFF [bo compound preposition nie może być zastosowany] ???

....You're just too good to be true,
Can't take my eyes OFF OF you,
You'll be like heaven to touch.....
this example also sprang to mind.
The rhythm of the text just screams for the "of" doesn't it?
'Off of' is considered bad English in the UK ....but is used in the States
see the following

Avoid the phrase 'off of' at all costs."
Source and further information:
http://mercury.tvu.ac.uk/~alan/grammar/howlers.html

Read more: Is it bad grammar to use 'off of' anywhere within a sentence? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/707088#ixzz0v0ujwDzu

Off of

For most Americans, the natural thing to say is “Climb down off of [pronounced “offa”] that horse, Tex, with your hands in the air”; but many UK authorities urge that the “of” should be omitted as redundant.
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/nonerrors.html

But then there is always poetic licence...
so the song reference I gave means absolutely nothing to you and the thousands of artists covering this song...were not using correct English???
p.s. next time when you quote - please quote from reasonable sources and NOT from ther internet.
but many UK authorities urge that the “of" should be
>omitted as redundant.

As do American authorities.
>thousands of artists covering this song...were not using correct
>English???

Shakespeare writing his works used this compound preposition, but that was then, this is now - it's non-standard
And there I was trying to delicate about Americanisms :) and using quotes instead of stating that to use 'of off' is considered 'bad English'
I got it FROM my brother.
I took it off the table.
I got the infomation from the internet, not off the internet...one wouldn't say I got the information off a book - one would say ...I got the information from a book. :)
You cannot be delicate or sensitive on this forum unless you want to get eaten alive. Be direct, don't take any crap from anyone, and fight for what you believe in!
Here's a rundown for you:

terri will bite your head off any chance she gets ;)
mg watches, takes notes, and when you least suspect it, he makes his move
engee is a troublemaker.
siuniab is slightly nuts, but she means well.
Aaric, as we've just found out, is independently wealthy and has a six pack, so we are going to be nice to him. Lately he started coming out of his shell a little more, so we're still watching him.
And I'm usually out of control.
So did Andrew Marvell..

SHAKESPEARE Henry VI, Pt. 2 (1623) II. i. 98 A fall off of a Tree.

A. MARVELL Corr. in Wks. (1875) II. 224 The Lords and we cannot yet get off of the difficultyes risen betwixt us.

So what chance do we have !!?
>>>>fight for what you believe in!
I agree with...I got it FROM my brother.
but tell me in my song...can't take my eyes OFF OF you ...would 'from' sound just as sexy or romantic?
and what about
...get off offa that thing???
>>>>terri will bite your head off any chance she gets ;)
I cannot disappoint my public ;-)
When put like that – it all makes sense

Maybe having it posted on the forum listing page might explain the sites unique initiation rites !!

Have just stuck it above my computer for future reference – I aspire to have my name on it one day !
Thank you :)
Also
Hey! You! Get off of my cloud.
>Maybe having it posted on the forum listing page might explain the sites unique initiation rites !!

But them everyone would come prepared... and they... might... even try to... outsmart... US!

mg-
>>>>and they... might... even try to... outsmart... US!
...I'd like to see them try ...and that's fighting talk ;-)

(laughing my bloody head off)
I'm the NICE one remember?? I actually welcome (ok maybe ensnare) people when they join the forum. Ask Aaric! I was the only who was half-way nice to him when he joined (trying to win points with him 'cuz he's loaded and has a six pack)
You're biased because you have actually met me.

Watch out lady...I followed you into the dressing room and espied what size clothing you wear!!

(finger poised dramatically above the nuke button)
But them everyone would come prepared... and they... might... even try to... outsmart... US!

I think that highly unlikely !!

I am assuming you are using US in a non-geographical way !

Anyway...I'm prepared...make your move...I have THE list...I'm ready for you !
:)
to put it in "delicate" American
"them's fightin' words"
>I am assuming you are using US in a non-geographical way !

I am. I meant 'ultrasound' :-)
Anyone ever suggested a 'Truth or Dare' category. It could be interesting ! :)
I am. I meant 'ultrasound' :-)

Mg, you have a submarine ??!!!!!

I'm truly impressed!
:)
Some mud wrestling is in the offing ? If so, I’m going to be your first cyber-punk, ‘gals’ :)
Get your mind out of the gutter Savvy.
I was just thinking about you :)
All's well I trust?
Like a blow-up pumpkin or maybe even like a ‘gag me with a bucket
( of an excavator ):)
This ‘braids-ping-thing-coach’ has really put me through the ringer recently.
It seems like she’s quite hell-bent , though endearingly, on turning me into a damn “gook bouncer” Come what may. (no offense to all rice-belies but we don’t have ‘any’ up here, I guess) .
>Some mud wrestling is in the offing ?

Is this part II of 'the list'?! - Please say it's not ! ;)
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 47
poprzednia |