spoken English

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Hello,
I have a question. How can I improve my spoken English? It's my Achilles heel! I am writing in this section "English only", because I hit on an idea that I can practise a use of English in this way.
What can I do more? Do you have any pieces of advice?
Thanks in advance.
looks like you've got sufficient amount of vocabulary so as to talk fluently, the only advice i can give you is talkin to yourself as frequently as possible,
know it appears to be dumb as hell, but try it
also readin aloud apperently is quite helpful,
Ok, thank you, I'll try it, especially reading aloud.
I don't exactly understand how to talk to myself correctly. When I speak in English I forgot the all grammar rules and nicer vocabulary and it sounds like "Kali jeść, Kali pić". When I write, it looks much better. Maybe I should record my self???
What do you think?
> Maybe I should record my self???
>What do you think?

That's what I wanted to suggest... before I read it:)))
it helps if there's no other way.
The best situation would be if you had someone (a friend / family member, etc.) with whom you could speak. That is pick a day or time when you're together and you're not allowed to speak anything but English. Sure, at the beginning it may be hard and cumbersome and you may even be saying many things incorrectly but that's OK - all you'd do is practice talking. Accuracy will come later.

If you don't have anyone then you can, as someone already suggested, just talk to yourself. Whatever you're saying in Polish (in any daily situation) try to translate it / say it (in your head maybe) in English. If you don't know the word, see if you can use other words that you do know to describe the one you don't know. Again - the objective is to train yourself to think / speak in a foreign language - the fluency and accuracy will come eventually.
Do you know what? When my husband came back from his work I started to talk to him in English. It was so difficult to us, he knows less English then me. But I must admit we had some fine time doing it! Of course, we used our hands as well :). I hope we'll be using English everyday!
Why is that? When I try to speak I forgot English words, I don't know which tense I should use etc.
???
See - that's the thing. You just have to practice. First it will seem really bad because when you are trying to say something you automatically think about it in Polish, then you frantically try to remember the English equivalent to translate it and if it doesn't happen instantaneously you panic and it feels like you're constantly forgetting words that you normally (in other situations) know.

The trick is to get to the point where you can switch your mind set from Polish to English and "think" in English as opposed to just quickly translate everything. So when you think of "4" and you're in English mode you should hear in your head "four" not "cztery."

I know that it is hard to do but not impossible, the more you talk to more naturally some it will become. Remember - nobody expects you to be perfect from the start and don't feel you're rushed. Try some simple topics first and then as you become more comfortable move on to those more complex.
The most important thing is practise, as everyone tells you, but it may sound boring and effects don`t come as quickly as you would wish. To avoid all this nervous anticipation concerning when it will finally happen that you speak well you should not think about how well you would liek to speak. Just find some pleasure in exercising English speech, even if it is icorrect and far from perfect. With time it will change for the better but don`t think about it hard. Just choose the topics that you really like and speak... for fun
I agree with you. Learning should mean fun (for some of you it is like heresy). In fact, when you are interessted in something you acquire knowledge faster then when you aren`t interessted but have to do it. Another point is that living in Poland don`t give you a great deal of opportunities to practise your speaking skills. However, when you really want to improve your speaking skill you can do it, apart that you live in a no english speaking country. For example, I have asked my friend whether she wants to have with me conversations after school or not. She agreed of course, because it is a good opportunity to improve her English as well. I wish I would last more than one month (apart from that, I tried to improve my german skill in such a way but unfortunately I met a friend of mine only once and then everything fell apart :P )
don`t give up. With English the problem is smaller, as more and more people are able to communicate in it on quite a decent level, but with german, that`s quite another story... I would also need a lot of practice in german but don`t know anybody who could talk in it:(
Hi. Perhaps you should organize a meeting for people who want to improve their spoken English. You can, for instance, write about in in "baza korepetycji" section, just like one person did. Check it https://www.ang.pl/korepetycje.php?wid=11, ID=2502. Then people can meet for free and talk with each other. (sorry for my english but I had a 2 years' break) :)
try to find an english friend to help you :)
Daj sobie spokoj z angielskim, wez sie za francuski albo hiszpanski...
another good idea is to read books and newspapers in English. By doing this some words, expressions ways of conveying information will stick in your mind and you'll be able (or not :))) to retieve this info whenever u like.

I also tried to talk to my husband in English...unfortunately, to no use :( I mean, he wanted it too (wanted to practise) but couldn't overcome this strange feeling that isn't no natural, it's awkward.
You know what, I think that good solution of this problem give us the newest technology. It means GG and SKYPE. Specially I prefer the second one. You have to buy a computer microphone and find somoene to talk with. Surely you shouldn't have a problem to find willing person. I can assure you that quality of sound is really good.
Read some tips in "How to learn more efficiently" forum on this site.I started this particular forum and my problem was/is very much alike...
I can see that mr or mrs good advice is real good advice :)
I like an idea you gave.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.

« 

Praca za granicą

»

Studia za granicą