Jaki czas?

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 35
poprzednia |
Chcę zapytać koleżankę z kim była na wakacjach, to jakiego czasu użyć?
czasu past simple, czasownika 'be' lub czasownika 'go', lub czasownika 'spend':
Who were you with on holiday?
Who did you go with on holiday?
Who did you spend your holiday with?

To with dal bym jednak na koniec, albo bardziej formalnie With whom....
a to dlaczego tak, a nie tak, jak ja napisalem :?
six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Moze artur sie nudzi?
If that's the case, why doesn't he sit in front of his TV and watch 'Twister' on ITV2 instead?
watching the PGA championship would be much more interesting.
I'm just watching Gamer on Sky Premiere.....

I didn't say it's wrong... just sounds better... at least for me.
Yeah, I'm bored a bit.... ;-)
Teraz ogladam Federer w semi-finals (Rogers Cup)
Graja w Toronto. Bylam na mecz we wtorek, i widzialam Federer vs Chela.
Bardzo imponujace
..na meczU...

I'm not much into sport, but I like golf and tennis.
a. Who did you go on holiday with ?
b. Who did you go with on holiday ?

I’m not bored. Nor am I looking for a spat, for that matter, really, but just out of sheer curiosity and for the sake of Language ( with capital ‘L’)
and both the beauty of its usage and the variety of forms.
And since I’m on parasitic gaps and wh-trace, it just inadvertently drew my attention.

Both sentences are ok, although ‘a’ is definitely better than ‘b, I guess.
I think it's because "go on holiday" is a fixed idiomatic phrase (sometimes called a complex predicate) while ‘b’ implies that you knew that person was going..... on holiday, and the last two words sound like a bit of an after thought, or checking that you did take some people..

Anyway, there seems to be no violations of any locality constraint here in
case of ‘b’ even if a fixed expression is splitted. It may well have to do
with prosodic weight.
And what about the other sentence, 'Who were you with on holiday?'? I suppose 'be on holiday' is as good a fixed phrase as it is not.

Try to think about the sentences this way (a jocular way):
'Where do you come from?'
'From a place where we don't end sentences with prepositions.'
'Let me rephrase. Where do you come from, you stupid pedant?'
The other sentence is ok too. And 'go on holiday' is by all means a fixed phrase either. And what's 'ending sentence with a preposition' got to do with your chin music? I come from a place where 'bull-work' is never done. But thank you for the compliment.
I don't think you got my point right.

As you must already know, there are people who would never allow the use of a preposition at the end of the sentence. Hence, the first two versions of my sentences are a good example of how to successfully avoid being frown upon by such people, don't you think?

Who were you on holiday with? (you could make yourself be frowned upon through such use)
vs

Who did you go on holiday with? (you could make yourself be frowned upon through such use)
vs
a co myslisz o:
With whom did you go on holiday? With X?
It's fine by me, dear , but a bit stiff ( or stiffy :)) that's something for Terri

Engee

Couldn’t agree more. But this a prescriptive rule, which you seem to be identified with, as I’m remember it correctly..huh ? as if there were so many of them to choose from. :)
I’m not a staunch supporter of such ‘irregularities’ in general, quite the opposite, but this is the domain of prescriptivists, like ‘do as they say, period. It’s fine by me but I much prefer the other way to the former,
that is, someone, who would be telling me how they may really speak on a daily basis.

By the way, there’s also something like ‘grammaticallity judgement test”. Those linguists dealing with generative syntax as a cognitive science do these kind of experiments. Monsters :)

Maybe we could do that kind of test, just for fun ? I’ll take three for a foursome, ok. Oprah would come first, you know, ‘good for the warmth in the winter and good for the shade in the summer ..,
>>someone, who would be telling me how they may really speak on a daily basis.

And I've found someone very 'valuabale', by the way :) 'to be envied at his valor and stamina' pen pal."
Terri , don't get me wrong as for this "stiffy" , ok ?
artur: yeah, I confuse the usage of the preposition "na" regularly (Locative/Accusative).

attending events and the use of "na"

Direction towards: Ona pojdzie na mecz (Accusative)
Direction from: Ona przyszla z meczu (Genitive)

AAck!
English is a FAR easier language to learn.
>a co myslisz o:
>With whom did you go on holiday? With X?

jest ok, ale takie bardzo wystylizowane - kumple/kumpelki pomiedzy soba tak nie mowia
Hey, hope you're doing well but not a bundle of laughs , I guess.
Dzieki, mostly everything feels rather surreal.
Hard to believe I'll be at work tomorrow.
It's early days but everyone is "ok" for now
Sometimes, when we're smitten by such sorrows, somewhere deep down there's this feeling that we want to get it over and done with as soon as possible, don't you think ? This is how I feel it. But it's quite natural.
Exactly.
It's like wanting to shed your grief like a snake sheds its own skin
You just want to be on the other side of it.
.....which is nothing to be ashamed of.
Things will certainly get easier as time goes by.
>>>As you must already know, there are people who would never allow the use of a preposition at the end of the sentence. Hence, the first two versions of my sentences are a good example of how to successfully avoid being frown upon by such people, don't you think?

Maybe. On the other hand you risk been misunderstood. If you put "with" at the end of the sentence everybody will know that you meant "Who accompanied you?". If you put it where you put it the meaning won't be so clear and somebody might take it wrong..., you should know what I mean ;-)
you should know
>what I mean

No, I don't, I'm afraid. Since suniab was able to understand the sentences without any problems, why shouldn't others be able to?
Siuniab, are you there? Any help? What may be the othere meaning of engee's sentence?
I mean: go with on holiday....
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
1-30 z 35
poprzednia |

« 

Programy do nauki języków

»

Pomoc językowa - Sprawdzenie