ARTICLES (2)

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
Put a, the or nothing into each gap.
Excuse me. Is there a post office near here?
We haven't got any money.
It's all right. I'm going to the/a bank. Rozumiem to tak:
the bank - there is one bank in the city; hence it's specified
a bank - there's more than one bank in the city; thus it's not specific. Right?:-)
My wife and I went out for a/the meal last night.
(Sądzę, że tutaj tez moga byc dwa; a zrozumiale, the - specjalny, umowiony posilek)
The food was excellent. I don't usually like - Chinese food, but the duck was superb.
When she looked behind her, she saw a strange man following her.
Has a/the postman been yet? (jesli to ta sama osoba, to uwazam, ze moze byc the. Jak sadzicie?) I'm expecting a parcel.
We've moved into a lovely house in the country. It'sa got - views of fileds and hills, and there's a garden at the back.
Do you want to speak to Jack? I'II just go and get him. He's in the garden.
A government without a strong leader will not produce - good policies.
The government has introduced a law (tutaj nie chodzi o niepoliczalne prawo w ogole, dlatego dalem 'a') to ban the sale of - air guns to - people under the age of eighteen.
My brother joined the Army because he likes playing with - guns.

Spojrzcie na to, proszę. Pewnie powiecie, ze mam klucz i moge spr. Owszem, lecz ja chcę to zrozumieć, a nie nauczyć się odpowiedzi z klucza na pamięc. Z drugiej strony uczen na zaawansowanym poziomie nie powinien sobie pozwalac na pomylki z articles.
Z góry wielkie dzięki.
edytowany przez grudziu: 09 gru 2012
"I'm going to the/a bank. Rozumiem to tak:
the bank - there is one bank in the city; hence it's specified [your interpretation is too narrow]"
If I have a particular bank/branch in mind, I would use "the".
I say to my husband: "I'm going to the bank" [ he knows I mean the branch down the street]
If I were running errands at a shopping mall and wasn't sure which bank I may find there, I would use "a"

the postman; some exceptions possible.

"a meal" almost always; some exceptions possible but other modifiers would normally be used
"the last meal of the day"
in British English the meal = a special longed -for meal that has been arranged beforehand. Maybe there is a little difference in US/Canada English. don't really know.

that's the way I see it. I may be wrong of course, therefore, I picked your brain.

Thanks a lot.
If I said to my lady 'I'm going to the bank', she would certainly know that I meant the bank in which I had an account. That's obvious, but if I said it to my friend, they would probably ask 'which bank do you mean?', because there are lots of banks in our city, do you mean 'Lukas Bank? or 'Kredyt Bank?' and so on and so forth. That's the way of my reasoning.
edytowany przez grudziu: 09 gru 2012
going to the bank - podobnie jak 'going to the post-office'. nawet jeżeli rozmówca nie wie, o którą pocztę chodzi, wie, że mówiący ma swoją pocztę, podobnie jak swój bank. Stąd 'going to the bak' = idę bo banku, w którym mam konto; niekoniecznie 'idę do banku, o którym ci mówiłem'

a meal - nie znam znaczenia 'the meal w British English'. Nie wracaj do wymyslania rzeczywistości

the postman - wiadomo, że przychodzi listonosz, on jest elementem stałym rzeczywistości. Kiedyś przychodził także mleczarz - zwykle rano, tak że nie było wiadomo, czy to ciągle ta sama osoba, ale i tak nazywało go się 'the milkman'.
Has a postman been yet? - znaczy 'czy był już listonosz w odróznieniu od np. elektryka czy dozorcy, tzn. "czy przyszedł już przedstawiciel klasy listonoszów"

reszta ok
Nie wymyslam, dyskutujemy tylko.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.