SET OFF

Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
61-90 z 172
ought jest czesciej uzywane w BrE. My raczej mowimy should, czyli construkcja taka sama jak masz z should.
Cytat:
I reszta postu jeszcze : )
cos wiecej?
No chodzi mi o potwierdzenie czy reszta dobrze, bo zdaje mi sie ze 'If you will not keep quiet, you can get out. ' jest źle. To jest I conditional, a w po if i when nie daje sie will. Wstawilem to zdanie tu bo znalazlem je na diki.pl, gdzie rzadko zdarza mi się wylapać bład.

i jeszcze: You/One/It is/are not supposed to drink coffee in here.
edytowany przez VanHezz: 26 lip 2013
>>'If you will not keep quiet, you can get out.

'will' tu jest ok, bo nie wyraza przyszlosci tylko 'refusal won't'
MY glasses = the glasses OF MINE ??
Obie ok, ale trochę inne znaczenia. The glasses of mine sugeruję, że masz więcej niż jedną parę okularów.
> *the glasses OF MINE ??

Nie, Tak sie nie mowi , jest to niepoprawne.
To sie nazywa 'post-genitive' tak jak 'A friend of mine' gdzie czlon przed 'of' ( head) domyslnie musi być zasadniczo nieokreslony ( 'indefinite/an unspecidied number of ' w znaczeniu jeden z moich przyjaciol, mam jednego albo wiecej, a tu jest 'THE glasses ..

Jesli jednak kontekst wymagalby takiej konstrukcji to jedyna mozliwoscia byloby uzycie tutaj demonstative 'these glasses of mine' ale wtedy znaczenie nie bedzie ' to jest jedna z kilku par okularow ktore mam' tylko cos jak 'these glasses are part of my image/gear or whatever
edytowany przez savagerhino: 27 lip 2013
Cytat: savagerhino
> *the glasses OF MINE ??

Nie, Tak sie nie mowi , jest to niepoprawne.
To sie nazywa 'post-genitive' tak jak 'A friend of mine' gdzie czlon przed 'of' ( head) domyslnie musi być zasadniczo nieokreslony ( 'indefinite/an unspecidied number of ' w znaczeniu jeden z moich przyjaciol, mam jednego albo wiecej, a tu jest 'THE glasses ..

Jesli jednak kontekst wymagalby takiej konstrukcji to jedyna mozliwoscia byloby uzycie tutaj demonstative 'these glasses of mine' ale wtedy znaczenie nie bedzie ' to jest jedna z kilku par okularow ktore mam' tylko cos jak 'these glasses are part of my image/gear or whatever

Damn! A double genitive construction must begin with a, this, that, these, those. Was at work, so distracted. Sorry! 'These glasses are mine.' is what I would say.

A double genitive/possessive construction cannot start with the definite article "the" or with the proper noun, hence it'd be incorrect to say:
"the friend of Tom's." The noun with the -s genitive must be both definite and personal, that's why it would be incorrect to say: 'a stereo of a student's".
Some linguists argue that the double genitive is not a true genitive but rather a type of partitive construction (this is what you said a moment ago):

Quote, Grammarians have argued over the origin and nature, but not the validity, of the double genitive with the fervor of hot-stove league fans rehashing a Word Series play, unquote, and one more:

Quote, To say you're a friend of Greg's means that Greg looks upon you as a friend. To say you're a friend of Greg means that you look upon Greg as a friend. A subtle difference. It seems that the addition of -s to . . . Greg is a way of focusing attention on [this person] as having a more active role in the relationship being expressed. Double possession has given us a way to express quite fine distinctions that we couldn't convey before. The extra marking is not overkill in this case, unquote

ps gotta go to the kitchen to see if lunch is ready!
edytowany przez grudziu: 27 lip 2013
yes, they call it 'double genitive' too

Hey Johny, get your ass down here, your glasses / these ( damn) glasses of yours have just arrived.
Hey Johny, get your ass down here, *the glasses of yours have just arrived.

The use of demonstratives in such post-genitive constructions is also called a 'generic partitive'.
good, I have nothing but praise for you, pal.
I see you use your head for more than something to keap your ears apart :)
.. and it happens to me too ..sometimes , haha
Ok, lunch has not been ready yet.

What about these examples (I am hoping that you say they are all fine):

A car of my brother's is red.
This car of my brother's is red.
That car of my brother's is red.
The car of my brother's is red.
Would it be unusual to say:

A car of my brother is red.

Edit: my mind is always messy, but not my room!
>>A car of my brother is red.

standing alone it's odd

A car of my brother is red. - bad
sorry, I skipped it
edit:
>>A car of my brother's is red. - standing alone it's odd

missed 's
;O nawet nie zaglebiam sie w to co pisaliscie, ale czemu A car of my brother's is red, a nie My brother's car is red albo A car of my brother is red ?

A odnosnie tamtego to wzialem to z fragmentu piosenki:
Maybe he
Can mend this broken heart of mine. jak to tu przetlumaczyc.
Sav@ That is fine, buddy. I found it unusual too, I just wanted to make sure.

VanHezz@

The car of my brother's is red. What precedes the "of" is usually indefinite (a friend, not the best friend), unless it's preceded by the demonstratives this or that, as in "this friend of my father's." Sav has already pointed it out after all.
A car of my brother's is red. OK
My brother's car is red. PERFECT
A car of my brother is red. UNUSUAL (musi być apostrof).

Może 'on może naprawić' moje serce. The girl is in pieces, and she wants that guy to fix her. To jest potoczne. Zależy of kontekstu, tutaj znaczy, że ona jest zakochana w nim i chcę tego samego od niego.
You always need some context to extract the right meaning

The car my brother bought was red [ unique reference - my brother's car was red)
A car my brother bought was red (a car of my brother's was red, he bought a few cars that day , one of them was red)

>> .....this broken heart of mine
this broken part of my body that I call 'heart'.
@grudziu, czyli jak jest THE to nie daje sie OF i dotatkowo apostofu, tak? a jak jest a, this, that, these to sie daje.
A jesli jest THE to daje sie tylko 'of' czy jak.

2) mozna uzywac zamiennie: anyhow z anyway oraz somehow z someway ?
@grudziu
Cytat:
are you sure?
Cytat: fui_eu
@grudziu
Cytat:
are you sure?

What precedes the-of is usually indefinite. The sentence means that one of the cars my brother owns is red.

ps What seems strange to you in the sentence?
Wlasciwie mi biega o apostrofa w tym zdaniu.
an opera of my friend's
a friend of my brother's
a painting of my sister's
...a toy of the child's ... (this one from here : http://grammar.about.com/od/grammarfaq/f/FAQdoublegenitive.htm)

the head - essentially indefinite
postmodifier - must be definite and human
But, aren't double possessives redundant in today's English?
edytowany przez fui_eu: 27 lip 2013
Did you read the article?
Will it help me in winning the argument? ;)
skonczyliscie juz? bo chce zadac kolejne pytanie. ;)
Pytania mozesz zadawac w kazdej chwili. Dyskusja jest nt niejasnosci dotyczacych Twoich poprzednich pytan. Nie interesuje Ciebie?
Cytat: fui_eu
Will it help me in winning the argument? ;)

Sorry for delay, I had a phone call ( Langley, VA, you know, the call of nature straight forn the headquaters of CIA:))

>>>Will it help me in winning
I don't know, maybe it would :)

Look, you questioned the grammaticallity of the apostrophe, right?
Then you did an about-face ( kinda) on the above getting into this redundancy thing.

Redundant? Maybe they are. It's not for me to judge whether we should ditch them for good. Don't forget, it's not only about the everyday language.There are different registers, different styles, there's also narrative. We're not talking here about that single-celled Trayvon Martin's fiancee who can barely string two coherent English sentences together ( despite being born and bred American, no offense)
Redundand w sensie, ze jak teach zobaczy tak ujete /z apostrofa/ nie uzna jako blad, though;)
you can tell him he's wrong and sue him later :)
Ja nie zaczalem o 'OF i apostrofie', ale dzieki temu sie dowiedzialem ze jak przy rzeczowniku jest a, an, this, these, that to ma byc OF i apostrof a wczesniej myslalem ze tylko OF, bo tak mi nauczycielka mowila.

having said that , - idiom : powiedziawszy to..
My new bed is very big and comfortable, having said that I think it is to high, because I have to make a small jump to get onto my bed.

1) having said that = however = albeit = but ?
2) wedlug tego idiomu można ukaldac np. takie zdania? : Having eaten a dinner he cleaned his teeth. albo Having found out his gf is pregnant (dawac tu przecinek?) he kicked up a row.
Temat przeniesiony do archwium.
61-90 z 172

« 

Pomoc językowa

»

Uniwersytet